Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Review: My picks from the Color Club Girl About Town fall collection

(All products in this review were purchased with my own money.)

Hello!

The fall collections are rolling in, with gorgeous, deep, rich, gemstone colors all around me. You know I love my fall and winter colors, so you know I'm starting to drool over collection after collection. Ah, to be independently wealthy...sigh...

The first one I dipped into is the Color Club Girl About Town collection, their fall 2013 offering. Three of the colors were a bit confusing to me for a fall collection--they had a decided summer feel to me--but three of them were warm and fuzzily fall, so I snapped them up. :)

First up is Pearl District, a burnished gold shimmer/metallic; here it is with two coats:

Color Club Pearl District, direct sunlight



I don't normally wear gold polishes. I use them as accents in nail art and the like, but rarely wear them directly on their own, or even as a base polish. I'm not sure why this is; I think most golds are just too flashy for me by themselves. While this polish isn't likely to be one of my favorites any time soon, it is a warm enough gold that I can see myself being comfortable wearing it and feeling luxurious rather than flashy. The formula was great--it went on smooth, wasn't too brushstrokey for a metallic polish.


Next up is Williamsburg, a dark blueberry with shimmering micro-flakes inside:

Color Club Williamsburg, indirect sunlight

Color Club Williamsburg, direct sunlight



This is two coats of Williamsburg. I want to really love this, but I have to admit I stop just short of loving it. In some lights, it just looks like a deep inky blue; there's nothing wrong with that, but what makes this polish unique is the microflakes that make the polish look like it's shining from the inside. And when it's in lights where the flakes come out, it's gorgeous. The formula on this was again excellent--and as I think about it, I can't remember ever getting a Color Club polish that had a bad formula.


Finally I have the polish I was most excited about: The Uptown. This is a purple jelly polish with a multi-color flake in it. As you know, I'm crazy 'bout a flakie, so I couldn't resist it. When I first got it in my hot little hands, it made me instantly think of Nfu-Oh 51, and I'll do a comparison post for you within the next few days. In the meantime, I layered it over the other two polishes for your viewing pleasure. Here it is first with one coat over Pearl District:





Well there's your fall in a bottle, right there. I didn't expect this to look good over gold--I just threw it on as an experiment--and love was fallen into. The gold shines through the purple jelly, and this looks like some soft, fluffy pile of fall leaves, waiting for you to jump right in. 


Not surprisingly, it takes on a completely different look over Williamsburg: 







Wow. This is just...wow, wow, wow. The flakes...they shine! The flakes...they glow! The flakes...they have stolen my heart!

Yes, this really is only one coat. The polish is packed with flakies, and they go on evenly without effort. If you're a flaky lover--this is for you.

So there you have the three polishes that called to me from the Girl About Town collection...and stay tuned for the comparison of The Uptown vs. Nfu-Oh 51! :)

Hugs and loves,
M.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome picks from this collection1 Great colors for fall :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am like a kid in a candy shop right now...so many awesome fall colors out there...sigh!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I could not agree more. It's awesome sitting in a puddle of awesomesauce!

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!