Saturday, June 15, 2013

Before & After: Studded Liberty

Hello!!

This is 3D week in my Hobby Polish Bloggers group, so I# put together a 3D manicure for you for today. I love a touch of 3D here and there, although I don't go quite as far as some people--there is some amazing 3D stuff out there that's just encrusted with jewels and the like. One of these days I'll try that out, but for today I wanted to do a little bit more along the everyday wear sort of 3D.

First, I am going to whine for a second, as today was a bad nail day. My dog broke one of my nails on my good hand (the one that had the longer nails still). Every manicure I did turned out crap. A perfectly harmless-looking polish stained my nails and cuticles a shade of yellow-green that made me look like I was septic. I tried to make my first from-scratch franken (from pigments, glitters, and base, rather than combining existing polishes), and it was...not good. I got a little pouty for a bit about it all, then decided to put on my big-girl panties and try again. And this is what I came up with. :)

I started with one of my current favorite things--a textured polish, which seems to me like the perfect foundation for a 3D manicure. The Zoya Pixies win my vote for best textured polishes out there, and this is one of the best of the bunch, Liberty, a deep teal blue:


Zoya Liberty, artificial light

Zoya Liberty, artificial light

Zoya Liberty, artificial light

Next, I used some nail tape to box off some stripes, which I painted in black with Ebony Hates Chris. Then I finished it off with silver square studs on the accent fingers:







I know these polishes are meant to be worn without topcoat, but I just love the way they sparkle and shine with topcoat on, so here's what it looks like after I topcoated it:






Which do you like better? I love them both, truth be told. And even though I know I shouldn't...I'll probably buy one or two of the Fall Pixies when they come out. Don't judge me...

Thanks for taking a look! Hugs and loves,
M.

18 comments:

  1. Pretty texture color! I really like the mani you did too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No sign of septic cuticles at all ;-) I love that mani, sometimes the nicest ones are the ones you weren't initially intending to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Sadly the septic cuticles are on the other hand...but I think it will clean off completely with a second application of acetone (I'm hoping...>.<)

      Delete
  3. I will not judge you! LOL! I want to purchase more as well. I want a black glitter textured glitter polish. I have been on the look and think I will go with Zoya. I will always love this trend whether it comes or goes. I will still rock me some textured polish. I am also like you I love the look of it with and without the glitter. I love this mani!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the trend--I like it and I'll keep wearing it. But then again, I also still like crackle, so I may not be the best person to go by, lol! I personally have found the Zoyas to be excellent quality and very pretty with respect to sparkle without full-out glitter. :)

      Delete
  4. Liberty is such a pretty color on its own, but I really like the stripes and studs... looks so cool with the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sorry you had a sucky nail day. Your mani turned out great tho! I can't decide which I like better either...texture vs sparkle is a tuffy! <3

    Frankening can be brilliant or miserable. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sympathy...:) Ugh, frankening. Right now I need to figure out why when I add glitter to my pigmented base, the polish just covers the glitter. I think maybe I used too much pigment...I have to figure it out. :)

      Delete
  6. Love the mani and the blue. I love looking at textured polish I just do not like wearing them myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does the texture bother you? I can see how it might. I was surprised it didn't bother me actually...:)

      Delete
  7. This is lovely!! I still can't decide if I want to participate in this month's challenge or not... But I like seeing the entries everyone else makes, all the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, come on, you know you wanna do it...;-) (and thank you!)

      Delete
  8. *hugs* for a crappy nail day. and
    *hugs* for great manicure :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liberty look fabulous. I'm excited; I just ordered it last night.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day--leave me a comment!