Sunday, March 17, 2013

It works! Thanks Bee Polished!!

Hello everyone!

A few days back, I shared this link to a post on Bee Polished with you; the post shows how to make any polish you have into a textured polish. Since, like many of us, I don't have money to burn and have to chose my polishes carefully (thank you Sally Beauty red tag clearance sale, which is going on now, btw), I can't really afford to go out and buy the textured polishes in every color I like, so I jumped at the possibility to turn one polish into many polishes.

Please visit her site for details, but the basic idea is that you take a neutral textured polish, put that on, and then when it's dry, put a coat of your colored polish on top.

I followed her instructions, and even bought the same polish she used, Zoya's Godiva. I used two coats of Godiva for the base, and then put a coat of China Glaze's OMG A UFO over the top; you know I just had to try one of the new China Glaze holos. :) Here are the results:

China Glaze OMG A UFO over Zoya Godiva in direct sun
 
In the shade

Close up!

Indoor light--notice there is some holo rainbow still in some lights

As you can see, the polish is beautifully textured, just like it was made that way. :)

I chose the polish I did because I was interested to see what would happen to the holo when it became textured. Not surprisingly, the holo was greatly diminished, and it turned into a mildly duochromy finish with a beautiful depth and difference of color. However! In some lights, the holo rainbow did persist, but was very light. How cool is that! Textured holo! I think if this were done with a super strong holo like the Laylas or the Nfu-Oh holos, it could be stronger, and I'm gonna try that. :)

I'm excited to push the limits with this and see what things work and what don't. I will say though that I also bought two other of the Pixie Dust Zoyas, and I intend to buy more, because I love the glitter finish to them. But in terms of regular textured polishes without that extra bling--this technique is gorgeous and is going to save me sooo much money...Thank you so much, Bee Polished!!

Thanks for reading,

Xoxox,
M.

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely "textured holo". I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must give all props to Bee Polished for her awesome idea! And thank you!! :)

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to share! But totally not my idea-- be sure to give Bee Polished some love for the idea by visiting her site. :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome! I never would have thought to make a holo textured, I bet it looks really interesting in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures capture it pretty well--I loved it so much I did some nail art with it so I could wear it longer, lol. :)

      Delete
  4. What an amazing idea! You are absolutely right this technique can save us some money :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This came out really cool! Great idea to try a holo! I tried a magnetic but it didn't work so well!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, bummer! I don't think most glitters will work either, but I want to try some really fine ones. Thank you so much for coming up with this technique, you totally rock!!

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!