Thursday, February 28, 2013

Fix My FAIL: Glitter Fail

Hello!!

Just in under the wire for February I'm introducing, as promised, a new feature: "Fix My FAIL"!

Sometimes my manis come out okay, and sometimes they just...don't. And sometimes they don't more than other times...And I sit staring at them saying to myself 'that looked so much better in my head...there is so much I'd do differently...'

Well, I thought that it might be fun to see what you'd do differently.

The idea is this. Take my mani and make it better. Deconstruct it and rebuild it.  You can do this any way you want--maybe you like the polishes, but not the design, so you want to do a different design with the same polishes (or similar ones). Maybe you like the design, but not the colors I chose. Maybe you see what I was going for and decide to replicate it, but know you can execute it better. Maybe you like what I did exactly as is, but would have added something else to finish it. You just have to have some element of the original manicure, take it, and run with it. I'll give you some more specific examples with the failed manicure below.

This is a for-fun contest, meaning there will be no prize, just the fun of doing it and bragging rights if your manicure 'wins'. For this first go-round, the winner will be chosen by popular vote--whichever entry gets the most 'likes' on the Facebook page will win. If you enter the contest, you cannot like your own entry, of course. I will include the winning manicure in a follow-up post on my blog. :)

Okay, let's take a look at the first FAIL manicure. I started with the beautiful Hare Polish Rusty Hearts, which is a deep red with orange-gold flecks:


Hare Polish Rusty Hearts

Hare Polish Rusty Hearts

With a polish that pretty, you wouldn't think you could possibly be able to make it a fail. But oh, oh, oh, I did. I added a gold-and-black glitter in a swipe around three-quarters of the nail; in my head, this looked really elegant and pretty... Here's what it looked like IRL:


Yeah...not so much.

I hereby officially apologize to these bottles of polish for doing this to them.


Yeah. Not much to be said there except...What a waste of polish.

Okay so. What would count as a 'Fix My FAIL' entry? You can't just submit a swatch of red polish or just any manicure with a totally different design on red polish. What you could do is use a red polish with a black-and-gold glitter, but combine them differently. Or you could do a sweep design with similar placement, but maybe not with glitter, maybe with a hand-drawn flourish instead. Or maybe you think this mani would have worked if the glitter were exactly the same and positioned the same way, but it was over a grey instead of a red. The point is, there must be some recognizable element that relates to this manicure. Other than that, go nuts! Have at it! Have fun! And Fix My FAIL!!!

Can't wait to see what you guys do. :)

Xoxox,
M.

8 comments:

  1. Hmm how cool i wanna see what others did?? is it the same page you told me about or another one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody has submitted anything yet, but when/if they do, they'll post it here: https://www.facebook.com/LacquerOrLeaveHer?fref=ts

      Maybe you'll submit something?? :)

      Delete
    2. ooohh mee? i dont have any black glitter polishes as such so my entry might not count lol.

      Delete
    3. That's okay, it doesn't have to use the exact same polishes or even colors...So you can turn it into something way better, lol!

      Delete
  2. Tape the edges. Also use a top coat per each sparkled layer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annika! The idea here is for readers to take the elements of this mani and do their own mani that improves on it. I'm not so much looking for advice on how to do it better--sorry for the misunderstanding!

      Delete

Make my day--leave me a comment!